Have you received a baby gift so bizarre you were slapping your forehead and saying “what were they thinking?” I try not to be ungrateful and all but really some people are so inconsiderate when it comes to gifting. Registries are created just to avoid getting an unwanted gift but it seems some people just love to surprise…
9. Baby bathrobes- Who uses these? Why would you not just put clothes on the baby after bath? And not to mention the cutesy baby towels too. Your regular adult towels are more absorbent and help keep baby warm too.
Image via: BabyAspen.com
Cover image via: AliExpress
8. Infant shoes- Babies cannot walk and therefore have no need for shoes. They look cute and all but thoroughly impractical. Socks are the way to go!
7. Wrong season clothing- It is wonderful to receive clothes for baby for different stages but the clothes should be season-appropriate. But then again, my 5 month old is now wearing 12 month clothing so it really is a crapshoot. Include a gift receipt so the parents can exchange at the store.
Image via: Pinterest
6. A crib- My friend was so excited when she told me her husband got Graco to give him a free crib. His job entailed dealing with a lot of companies and he sometimes gets freebies. It was so hard but I had to say no thank you. First of all, I wanted all white furniture to match her other furniture we had already bought. Secondly, we wanted a mini crib with wheels so we can move the crib to the living room when we needed to. The standard sized crib would not have fit through our doors. So, unless a certain crib or any furniture item is on someone’s registry, please do not give it to them. You would not appreciate it if someone else chose your furniture for you, would you?
Image via: Best Baby Decorations
5. Nursery Wall Art- You may think it is cute to give a framed art piece for baby’s room but keep in mind that style is a very personal thing. The nursery is a place the parents want to decorate themselves. Stop inflicting your own tastes on unsuspecting people! However if you really do want to give some nursery wall decorations, simply ask the recipient what it is she would like to receive.
Image via: BestBabyDecorations
4. Baby Earrings- My mom gifted me with fancy gold earrings for the baby. I told her thanks but no, I’m not piercing her ears until she is old enough to want them and be responsible enough to care for her ears. It really is just a cultural thing. In some places it is normal to put earrings on infants. It’s okay, I guess, the earrings will still fit when she is 7 or so.
Image via: Tiny Blessings
3. Oversized toys- We live in an apartment. Please don’t make us have to sell our couch so that the giant bear from Costco will fit in our living room. You should definitely ask permission before buying a giant anything. Many parents would not want such a huge gift taking up so much space in the house. Also, some families have pets and all that stuffing would cause a huge mess. Really think through the practicality of any gift.
Image via: AliExpress
2. Used car seat- Thanks for thinking of us and all but no, I’d rather not use a used car seat when I don’t know the history of it at all. Car seats have a lifespan of about 6 years but if they have been involved in any accident, even minor ones, they won’t be able to do their main function which is to keep baby safe. Bottom line, saving money by receiving a used car seat simply isn't worth the risk.
Image via: Pistachio Project
1. Baby Cancer Bib- I’m sure this was supposed to be a horoscope theme bib for my July-born baby. I’m unsure which is worse, the wording or the number 69. There seems to be nothing good about a gift like this one. Sometimes you just have to laugh when you receive the worst baby shower gifts ever. Most importantly though is to learn from other people's mistakes and soon enough you will become the master gift giver.
Image via: SandBoxLane